Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dream Boogie 2: Electric Boogaloo


The one poem I really wanted to read in class on Tuesday was Dream Boogie, but I knew that a whole bunch of people would choose that poem to discuss because it just looks and sounds awesome, so I chose to read an Emily Dickinson poem. But the poem that stuck with me all this time was Dream Boogie.

The first time I read it, I honestly didn't get it. Well, that is, I didn't get it until I read the last four lines. I realized that those last lines were scat, a form of wordless vocal jazz. I then realized that the whole poem was inspired by jazz, which, to me, is awesome. I reread it and reread it, and finally settled that it sounded best to me read in a swing beat, just like the jazz of the time period this poem was written in. That's when the poem really started making sense to me.


Maybe it's just because in a previous life, I was a jazz musician, or maybe it's just because I'm a musician and I see this weird connection between poetry and music, regardless of genre, but I can definitely imagine that this poem is written as a jazz song in words, like a Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis song translated into poetry. Definitely very cool.

Ben L.

1 comment: