Out of all the poems and sonnets that we've read in class, the two that stuck with me the most were Dim Lady by Harryette Mullen and the accompanying sonnet by Shakespeare. I loved the use of more modern language to convey the same ideas that Shakespeare conveyed hundreds of years before. One thing I noticed was how with the Shakespeare version, everyone in class took it so seriously, and with the Mullen version, it was pretty humorous. Even though they say the same thing, just with different words, the reactions people had towards the two pieces were quite different. I feel that in our society, we take the works of Shakespeare too seriously. In my opinion, Shakespeare wrote his sonnet to convey his love for someone, but with a humorous approach. But besides that, I loved that both of them had the overall message that no matter what the physical attributes, that the writer loves their significant other no matter what. That's a message I can get behind!
Ben L.
No comments:
Post a Comment